Updating your Beneficiaries

Updating Your Beneficiaries

As the new year rings in it is time to review your beneficiaries for all of your Postal Benefits. There are two primary areas that you will need to double check:

Life Insurance

Instead of going through the headache of trying to find out who you have listed as your beneficiary (which means reviewing your full OPF and all your SF-50’s) you can just send in a new form and the new form will supersede anything they have on file. You can find the form you will need to use here.

Once you have completed the form you will need to send 3 copies to Shares Services at the following address:

P.O. Box 970400
Greensboro, NC 27497-0400

You will receive a stamped copy of the form back once the update is complete.

Thrift Savings Plan

To update your beneficiary with the TSP you will need to use form TSP 3. The instructions on how to fill out the form and where to send it are all included in the link. Again, by submitting this form it will supersede whatever you have on file so don’t worry about figuring out who you have listed right now.

The only exception you need to keep in mind pertains to divorces. Whatever your divorce decree states will take precedence over any designation of beneficiary you may indicate with the government.

If you have questions please feel free to ask and I want to wish all of you a happy new year!

This entry was posted in Postal Employees. Bookmark the permalink.
  • Eric Davis

    Good day, I have been trying for some time now to get my wife as the appointed beneficiary.
    Everytime I try to call and or get paperwork I am transferred to all these other people that have seem to have no knowledge of what I am trying to do.
    It is simple I remarried I want my new wife as the beneficiary for everything if by chance I pass away.
    I reside in Johnson county Kansas.
    Could you please tell me where do I get the papers or how do I get my wife put on there as the person whom receives my benefits, if I were to pass.
    Thank You for your time
    Mr. Davis

    • David

      If you need to update your beneficiaries you will need to complete the forms and then send them to Shared Services in North Carolina. If you already have the forms completed all you need to ask Shared Services is how to address the envelope so it gets to the right person.

      1st form is for your FERS (I’m assuming your FERS) pension SF 3102
      2nd is the TSP and you can find this on the TSP website: TSP-3
      3rd is for unpaid compensation (left over pay on your paycheck if you die between pay periods) SF 1152